Search found 81 matches

Return

Re: US Business Schools - Earlier deadlines?!

Hello Kristijan,

US universities generally have earlier application deadlines. One of the reasons is that studies begin earlier – mid of August, compared to end of September/October in Europe and other regions. Also, leading US business schools review applications in several rounds and indeed the deadlines for Round One can be pretty early – starting from mid September a year before your studies will actually begin. Deadlines are also early to allow enough time for settling visas for international students. Even if there are no rounds, international students are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

I hope this helps. I will be glad to advise you further.
by Iliana
Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quality of MBAs

Hello adviser,
I need to undertand how to judge about the quality of the programmes? I want to do an MBA and quality matters most for me. Please, can you give me some advice how to select the programs of high quality. Thank you. Look forward to your reply.

Hi,
I'd say emplyers look at rankings.

Hello Critical,
You are right that for some industries the rankning of a business school plays an important role for your employment prospects. However, for the majority of MBA graduates employers look into the profile and skills of the candidate. There is a great variety of excellent MBA programmes which go beyond the top 100. In this sense, it depends of your career goal whether you will stick to the top ranked schools only.
by Iliana
Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the weight of IR

Hello Hymalaya,

Most schools will appreciate a balanced GMAT score rather than a high score on some sections and low in others. The test evaluates a set of skills related to your analytical thinking, reasoning, quantitative abilities and written argumentation. This set of skills is a prerequisite that you will be able to benefit from your MBA studies, as well as to contribute effectively to class and team work.

Many MBA students have shared with me that the Quantitative section has been particularly useful to them in class and in their everyday management practice, but still aim to give your best at the full test.

Be advised that the GMAT is now more and more used by employers as well. So your effort in a high GMAT score gets beyond the MBA admission.

by Iliana
Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US Business Schools - Earlier deadlines?!

Hello,
I was wondering whether more selective schools have earlier application deadlines and should I apply early or give myself more time to prepare a better application? Which would be the winning strategy here?

Hello Roni,

You should not compromize on the quality of your application just for the sake of an early submission. The rule to apply as early as possible is still valid, but as long as you feel happy with your application and if you are within the deadlines.

What can help you, is to stay tuned for new from your targetted schools. Start working on your application, esp. essays as soon as they are announced. Tests should best be done in advance. The resume can also be prepared even before the application process is open. Of course you can make ammendments if there are new requirements, but the major effort can be done in advance.

by Iliana
Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it worthwhile to do an MBA?

Hello Roni,

Welcome to PrepAdviser.

The MBA is for professionals with at least two or three years of full-time work experience. The goal of an MBA is to develop your potential for top management and business development leadership very often on an international scale. There are also many entrepreneurs who reach the level when they need to get structured knowledge, exchange experiences and brush skills. Your undergraduate field of study does not matter as there are no limitations for applying to MBAs.

Even if you have studied something which sounds like a possible overlap, as the BBA, the MBA definitely takes you to a much higher level. So, it is worthwhile to do an MBA after a BBA, but it is important that you do it when the right time comes for you. You will know.

by Iliana
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it worthwhile to do an MBA?

Hi Iliana,
Thank you for your detailed reply. I am very much concerned that I may be repeating what I have already studied in my Bachekor's programme. How can I avoid it?

Hello Roni,

I understand your concern. I would suggest that you take every chane to visit business schools and attend MBA classes. This is the best way to experience it yourself.
by Iliana
Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TOEFL and TOEIC

Hello,
TOEIC means Test of English for International Communication. Most academic programmes usually would prefer the TOEFL test, but it is possible that they accept TOEIC. The best way is to check directly with the universities where you plan to apply for admission.
by Iliana
Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Experience for Masters

Hello Ahmet,

The requirements for prior financial work experience differ, but some of the top programmes will require that you have experience in the field of finance to be eligible for admission to a Master of Finance programme. You need to check directly with the shools you are interested in. If you have not selected schools yet, as a first step you can review the school profiles here: http://dev.prepadviser.com/select-a-school/school-profiles/masters-programmes/ .

by Iliana
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are the differences between MBA programmes?

Hello Trifon,

There are thousands of MBA programmes in the world and each of them has its spesific features. You can see the major types of MBA programmes iin the video "How Do MBA Programmes Differ From Each Other?" here: http://prepadviser.com/how-do-mba-programmes-differ-from-each-other/

by Iliana
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MBAs in Germany and German speaking countries

Hello Bert,

Selecting the best programmes starts with an evaluation of your profile and clarifying your goals and preferces. Only after you have a set of your own criteria, you can make an effective search.
See details on Profile Evaluation here: http://prepadviser.com/select-a-school/your-profile-evaluation/

If you are interested which programmes in German speaking countries are ranked best, check the international MBA ranking for the past several years. In the latest Financila Times ranking there are several programmes in the top 100 in German speaking countries.

by Iliana
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Internship and Job

Hello Kristijan,

An internship will be useful in many ways. Even if you do not start a job immediately with the employer which provided you an internship, you will have gained some practical experience you can count on later. In addition internships, give you a chance to try different positions and sectors and make sure what is most attractive to you and you are good at. Take any chance for an internship where you can learn something new and challenge yourself. It will have its ROI sooner or later.

by Iliana
Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is a good GMAT score?

Dear PrepAdvisers,
I know that the max GMAT score is 800, but what would be a good enough score for admission. Will I have better chances for admission if I have a higher score on the Quantitative section?
I thank you for your advice in advance.
Hyma

Hi,
Which of the sections in the most important on the GMAT?
Thx

Hello Capeknot,

Most business schools will most appreciate a balanced GMAT score, meaning that none of the sections has more weight in the decision for admission. The Integrated reasoning section is the newest one and there is still not enough evidence how school treat it. The score (max 800) is formed by the Verbal and the Quantitative section. The IR and the Analytical Writing Assessment scores are reported separately - each one of a different scale. The essay of the AWA is provided to the schools. So, you never know what will be most important in a situation of tight competition such as MBA admission is. The best is to aim as high as you can possibly achieve on all parts of the GMAT, especially if you will also be competing for a scholarship.

by Iliana
Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to check starting level

Hello Gamechange,

You can test your skills on the Verbal and Math sections with our GMAT Practice Test here:[url]http://prepadviser.com/take-a-test/gmat/[/url]
You will get a score and feedback about right and wrong answers after you complete the practice test.

For a full test -- download the software from mba.com.

by Iliana
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do all universities require a language test?

Hello Gamechange,

If you have already selected a school, contact the admissions office to check their requirements. If you have not selected schools yet, see with which of the tests you will feel most comfortable. Make pracitice or sample tests.

Also, you do not need to be in a hurry to take a language test. The scores are valid for two years. It is best to select schools and then take the language test according to their requirements. It is more important to prepare well for the GMAT as it is a more difficult test and the score on the GMAT will affect the shortlisting of your targetted schools.

I hope this helps.
by Iliana
Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to send scores?

Hello Leon,

Most schools will require that they get official score reports sent directly to them by GMAC.
You should order the official score reports. There are two ways you can do it.

1. On the test day. The test fee (250 USD + taxes) covers that 5 official score reports are sent immediately after the score is available. You list the schools/programmes on the test day, but before you know your score.

2. You can wait for the official score and then decide whether to send it to schools. If you order official score reports after the test, then there is a fee of 28 USD + taxes for each score report.

by Iliana
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the typical interview for an MBA?

Interviews vary from school to school. But I would say that the absolute minimum duration is 20 min, while the maximum can be up to 8 hours (an MBA assessment day). The interviewers may be just one person - director of admissions, a faculty member, director of the programme, career services director, current student or alumnus or a committee combining some of these people. There are also interviews, during which you will not be the only applicant interviewed, but they will be other as well or there might be a group task.

The most common questions are: How an MBA will help you reach your goals? How will our MBA help you reach your goals? Tell us about a difficult situation, how you coped and what lessons you learnt? How will you contribute to the MBA class? Present yourself. Have you go any questions you would like to ask us?

Interviews may also be in person or online via Skype with or without video, telephone or other media.

I hope this outline helps. I will be glad to advise you further.
by Iliana
Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Job question

Hello Capetknot,

First you make sure you list any new or growing responsibilities, esp. such related to supervising or managing people, budgets, projects, etc. Describe and illustrate with numbers your achievements and contribution to the business success of the company. Tell about your challenges and how you coped with them, lessons learnt and relate to later practice.

I hope these initial guidelines help you. I will be glad to advise you further.
by Iliana
Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Calculators?

You are welcome. Let me know if you have further questions.
by Iliana
Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is the GMAT a requirement?

Hello Ahmet,
The maximum GMAT score is 800. 650 is a high score. How long it will take you to get there depends on your starting level, educational background, and how intensive your preparation is. It might take 4 months or one year.
You can take our practice test here: http://prepadviser.com/take-a-test/gmat/

by Iliana
Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best GMAT books

Hello Capetknot,
Fees for GMAT courses vary greatly per location depending on the market. Let me know where you are based, so that I can advise you further.
by Iliana
Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic